Skip to main content

Canadian XCM Championships

On July 31st I made the big journey out to East Hereford Quebec. It was the Canadian Cross Country Marathon Championships and I was super focused and excited for this big event. We stayed at East Hereford for a couple of days prior to the event so I was able to check a bit of the course out before the race. The race was 82km long and the course had some really big climbs. The race start was a great thrill for me, I lined up with two Olympians which were Geoff Kabush who has competed in 3 Olympics and John Malois who competed in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics as a track cyclist. There was also a world class marathon racer Cory Wallace who placed 2nd in this years world solo 24 hour race.  The course was very challenging with its steep climbs and long technical descents. At the 50km mark of the race I had a mechanical issue with my rear wheel, I wasn't able to fix it so I had to ride my bike for 15km which was hard since I couldn't ride with much power. Once I arrived at the aid station and got the bike fixed I was on my way down the course starting an 8km climb that went to the summit of Mt. Hereford. The climb was very hard and it definitely challenged all the racers, once I arrived at the top of Mt. Hereford there was a 4km decent that was very steep and technical. I pushed it right to the finish trying to catch back up to the group I was in before my wheel blew. I gave it everything I had right to the finish. Even though I had a mechanical I was very happy with my performance and placing. I placed 2nd in the Junior field and it was an experience of a life time.


I just love there a or b line sign


I was enjoying the view at the top of Mt. Hereford with my Frog Cycles bottle


The start to the 4km decent after our 8km climb


Had a great race with these two guys


On the podium in second place. I am on the same platform by the way.


You know you are in a rural area when there is grass growing in the pavement

Posted By:  Nick Emsley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lauf Forks in Review

Lauf Trail Racer vs Lauf TR Boost Fork For this blog post I am doing a comparison on two mountain bike forks designed and manufactured by Lauf Forks. I am going be reviewing the TR Boost and Trail Racer, they are both great forks and I am going to discuss what the pros and cons are. The first thing that I noticed when I started to ride the TR Boost is that it is one of the stiffest forks that I have ever ridden. Compared to the Trail Racer the Boost fork has better responsiveness in corners and responds to what you want to do immediately. The Trail Racer isn't as stiff laterally as the TR Boost is and you will notice that when you are cornering hard there might be a bit of flex in the Trail Racer compared to none with the TR Boost. The 60mm of travel is the same for both forks so you wont notice any difference with your suspension. Compared to the Lauf Trail Racer which uses a standard 100mm thru axle the Lauf Boost uses a 110mm thru axle. When I received the TR Boost fo

Racing season is almost done!

2018 has had it's up's and down's but I have had some great experiences so far. I took a different approach to my racing year as I did not do as many Ontario cup races and instead focused on Marathon racing and having as much fun as possible on the bike. In the Ontario cup series I moved up to the Elite division, it was a great experience since I did one more lap and the competition was a lot tougher. In the marathon racing scene I added some new races to the calendar and had an absolute blast competing in them. One new race for me was the 60km Spring Chicken Marathon held in Beachburg, Ontario.Unfortunately it ended with a DNF due to breaking my derailleur hanger.  I was also back competing in the Ontario XC Marathon series and new to me was the Stuporcross Gravel series, both series are put on by Substance Projects. I did a blog post near the start of the race year about the True Grit gravel frame made by Lauf Forks, my sponsor from Iceland, you can read the artic