Skip to main content

Sausage Suit Individual Time Trial

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for taking the time to come and read my latest blog post. It means a lot to see all of the post views, likes and comments about my blog.

Now on to my latest race, it was held on October 13th in Mansfield, Ontario. I have competed in this event for the last two years and had an absolute blast so I was really looking forward to this year. The event is called the Sausage Suit Individual Time Trial, I love the name and I wish more events had funky names like this one.

It was nice and warm leading up to the event and guess what, on race day the temperature had to drop and it was around 6 degrees. Not my cup of tea so I packed some extra racing gear and was on my way to the event. One of my favorite things about this race is that the start is at 1:30 in the afternoon, so I actually got to sleep in a bit :).

We arrived with about 1 hour to race time and that was perfect for me since I didn't have to be in the cold any longer then necessary. Once I signed in and got myself ready it was time to do a warm up and trust me I couldn't wait. During my warm up I rode some of the race course and also got involved in a kids race that was going on. It was lots of fun watching little kids riding their bikes the best they could through some very tight areas.

It became race time and since it is a Individual Time Trial we all went out 30 seconds apart.The last two years we started under a tent but this year they did something different and very cool. We started out of a box trailer that they had, it gave everyone a starting ramp.  I am glad that I am only 5'8" because the trailer was a bit short.

I heard the count down and when I heard GO! I hammered down the first single track. The race course was basically all single track with only a couple double track connectors. I rode as fast as I could and I found that the first half of the course was harder then the second due to more roots, tighter corners and overall just tougher. I had a hard time figuring out my pace on the first half but on the second half of the course it was hammer time. I pushed myself and the bike to it's limits.

The race was two laps of 15km so once I came through the lap zone it was a repeat performance of lap one. I gave it everything I had for the 30km and had so much fun doing it. Once the race was over I did a nice cool down with my coach we rode some double track and single track.

I had one other competitor in my division that I knew was very fast but I wasn't sure who won so I checked the results and I got second, but only 47 seconds behind. What a close race after 30km!

Overall it was a very fun event and it is definitely one that I will keep on my calendar in the future.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lauf Forks in Review

Lauf Trail Racer vs Lauf TR Boost Fork For this blog post I am doing a comparison on two mountain bike forks designed and manufactured by Lauf Forks. I am going be reviewing the TR Boost and Trail Racer, they are both great forks and I am going to discuss what the pros and cons are. The first thing that I noticed when I started to ride the TR Boost is that it is one of the stiffest forks that I have ever ridden. Compared to the Trail Racer the Boost fork has better responsiveness in corners and responds to what you want to do immediately. The Trail Racer isn't as stiff laterally as the TR Boost is and you will notice that when you are cornering hard there might be a bit of flex in the Trail Racer compared to none with the TR Boost. The 60mm of travel is the same for both forks so you wont notice any difference with your suspension. Compared to the Lauf Trail Racer which uses a standard 100mm thru axle the Lauf Boost uses a 110mm thru axle. When I received the TR Boost fo

Racing season is almost done!

2018 has had it's up's and down's but I have had some great experiences so far. I took a different approach to my racing year as I did not do as many Ontario cup races and instead focused on Marathon racing and having as much fun as possible on the bike. In the Ontario cup series I moved up to the Elite division, it was a great experience since I did one more lap and the competition was a lot tougher. In the marathon racing scene I added some new races to the calendar and had an absolute blast competing in them. One new race for me was the 60km Spring Chicken Marathon held in Beachburg, Ontario.Unfortunately it ended with a DNF due to breaking my derailleur hanger.  I was also back competing in the Ontario XC Marathon series and new to me was the Stuporcross Gravel series, both series are put on by Substance Projects. I did a blog post near the start of the race year about the True Grit gravel frame made by Lauf Forks, my sponsor from Iceland, you can read the artic